Don’t Wait for the AC to Break Down in the Dog Days of Summer!
“If the AC is going to break down, it will break down on the hottest day of the year!” some would say. Fortunately, this situation can be prevented by savvy homeowners who understand the benefits of air conditioner maintenance. An air conditioning unit can be prepared for the summer, creating a much smaller chance of malfunction.
Keep the Air Flowing With New Air Filters
Air filters prevent pollen, dirt, and other pollutants from entering the home and from entering the working mechanism of the AC unit. It keeps the indoor air quality at its best and helps keep the unit clean. That means that air filters get dirty very easily. When they do, it prevents airflow through the HVAC system, making the appliance work harder to cool the home.
This makes the system less efficient, and this inefficiency can show up in the electric bill. Homeowners should replace the filter every three months at a minimum. It can be replaced more often during the summer because the air conditioner is working harder, and replacing the air filter will maximize efficiency.
Give the Outdoor HVAC Unit Space to Work
One of the simplest ways to help maintain an AC system is to keep debris and yard waste from entering the unit. Debris near or on the unit can cause difficulty with the airflow and may even cause the unit to overheat. Here are a few easy things any homeowner can do to keep their unit at peak efficiency.
- Hose Down: Whether from spring and summer storms or simply mowing the lawn, dirt and debris can get on the outdoor HVAC unit. Spraying the outside with the hose is a good idea to help it work properly.
- Clear Away Yard Waste: Remove branches and leaves that may be on or around the unit. Keeping the area tidy will help airflow.
- Keep Plants Trimmed: If a homeowner has a garden, they should know whether or not the summer foliage is interfering with the AC. Keeping trees and plants properly trimmed will help.
Schedule Professional Maintenance
The best way to maintain an AC unit, and the one that takes the least effort on the homeowner's part, is calling in an air conditioning technician to do a thorough inspection and maintenance of the entire HVAC system.
Professional air conditioner maintenance is just a phone call away. The AC technician will perform some if not all of the following checks on a home’s AC unit:
- Checking and tuning the thermostat
- Checking coils
- Cleaning coils
- Changing filters
- Checking coolant level
- Checking electrical connections
- Checking intake vents
- Inspecting ductwork for damage and debris
- Straightening fins
About Lascko Services
Lascko Services is a family-owned and operated company with over 20 years of experience serving its neighbors in Muskegon, MI, and the surrounding areas. They provide flat-rate pricing, financing, easy scheduling, and personal attention. Call them today for air conditioning services in Muskegon, MI.